- Who are we?
- Why did we create the Professional Learning Partner Guide?
- What is high-quality professional learning?
- How do we evaluate high-quality professional learning?
Who are we?
The Professional Learning Partner Guide is a product of Rivet Education. It supports our mission to ensure that every teacher in America has the instructional materials and professional learning they need to provide all students with the education they deserve.
Rivet wants to increase the use of high-quality instructional materials (HQIM) and aligned professional learning. We do this by (1) reviewing and vetting these services, and (2) developing detailed plans for rolling them out.
We bring state and local education agencies together with top-quality professional learning partners who can meet their specific instructional needs – similar to how a rivet fastens together two pieces of metal. Meet the Rivet Education team.
Why did we create the Professional Learning Partner Guide?
When teachers have great materials and high quality professional learning aligned to those materials, student achievement increases and classroom inequity is reduced. However, all too often, professional learning is of mixed quality and disconnected from the materials that teachers are using in their classrooms.
A primary reason this happens is school and district leaders lack reliable information about the quality of professional learning services. Rivet Education launched the PLPG to take this burden off of districts; we evaluate professional learning organizations and make recommendations on who has the highest quality services.
We hope that the PLPG helps:
- Grow the demand for high-quality professional learning in schools and districts, and
- Improve the quality of the professional learning marketplace by highlighting the best professional learning partners.
What is high-quality professional learning?
Research indicates that high-quality instructional materials (HQIM) improve outcomes for students in substantial, cost-effective, and scalable ways.
However, implementing HQIM effectively requires a shift in how teachers teach. Therefore, teachers and leaders need high-quality professional learning (HQPL) that demonstrates how to use HQIM to meet the learning needs of every student.
So, what is HQPL? HQPL is:
- Specific: HQPL deepens educators’ understanding of what to teach (content) and how to teach it (content pedagogy) within the context of the instructional materials teachers are expected to use in their classrooms.
- Relevant: HQPL is customized to teachers’ subject area, grade level, and cultural experiences.
- Equitable: HQPL equips teachers to ensure that all of their students have the opportunity to thrive academically and personally.
- Ongoing: HQPL provides teachers and school leaders with regular support on their curriculum.
- Engaging: HQPL creates an engaging space in which educators can develop and discuss ideas, practice new skills, receive feedback from others, and reflect on their learning.
How do we evaluate high-quality professional learning?
We invite any and all professional learning partners that specialize in providing high-quality, curriculum-aligned professional learning services to apply for the PLPG.
Our review team
Our trained team of educators are selected for their expertise in high quality instructional materials (HQIM) and aligned professional learning. Each reviewer also undergoes training on the PLPG’s evaluation process and criteria in order to ensure a fair and rigorous review of every application.
Our expert review team has:
- 26 reviewers with 350+ years working towards equity through education
- 23+ post-graduate degrees
- Expertise in 20+ HQIM
- Expertise in student learning from birth to grade 12
- 26% identify as persons of color
Our review process
We are committed to ensuring that the professional learning partners featured in the PLPG are best-in-class and provide the high-quality support that students and teachers deserve.
We have a three-step evaluation process. Applicants submit professional detailed learning materials like training presentations, handouts, guidebooks, course syllabi, and coaching notes. Our expert reviewers evaluate the materials against criteria to assess if the organization provides significant evidence of robust, HQIM-aligned professional learning services. Professional learning partners that meet these criteria are profiled in the PLPG. See our Scoring & Evidence Guide for more details.
Our review cycles
We have two application and evaluation cycles each year, and we add new professional learning partners to the guide every July and February. Professional learning partners are approved to be in the PLPG for 24 months at a time.
Current Review Cycle: Fall 2021
- Eligibility Screener for Gateway 1 Released: August 2021
- Eligibility Screener for Gateway 1 Due: October 15, 2021
- Applicants Notified & Full Application Released for Gateways 2 and 3: November 15, 2021
- Full Application for Gateways 2 and 3 Due: December 17, 2021
- Applicants Notified & Profile Submission Opened: February 1, 2022
- Profiles Due: February 11, 2022
- Profiles Released: February 2022
Next Review Cycle: Launches in late August 2022
Rivet Education’s Disclaimer
Rivet Education, LLC (“Rivet”) provides this Professional Learning Partner Guide “Guide” for general information purposes only. All information contained in this Guide is provided in good faith, however Rivet neither guarantees nor makes any representations or warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this Guide. Rivet evaluates third-party providers based on information that is self-reported, including assurances from third-party providers that they have all necessary rights and permissions to provide their services. Rivet does not evaluate, and makes no representations with respect to, whether the services of professional learning providers violate the copyright or other intellectual property rights of the authors or publishers of curriculum materials. Unless specifically indicated, Rivet makes no claim that a publisher authorizes, approves, sponsors, or endorses any professional learning provider. Rivet has not evaluated, and does not make any representation regarding, whether any professional learning provider’s use of curriculum materials in rendering services constitutes infringement of any copyrighted materials. Rivet does not claim responsibility for any actions taken by any third-party service provider listed in this Guide, including by way of example and not limitation, any infringement of the intellectual property rights of others.
The term “partner” is used throughout this Guide to describe a relationship between education agencies and the providers of professional learning services and does not create or imply a joint venture, partnership, affiliation, or other relationship between Rivet and any other party, or among any parties identified in this Guide.
You are responsible for conducting your own reasonable investigation and evaluation before retaining the services of any third-party service providers. Reproduction, distribution, republication, and/or re-transmission of any of the material contained within this Guide are strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Rivet.
To the fullest extent permissible under applicable law, the Guide is provided in an “As Is” and “As Available” and “As Available” basis. Rivet expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, or statutory, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchant ability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Rivet does not warrant that this Guide is error free, will operate without interruptions, is free of viruses or other harmful components, or will otherwise meet your needs.
Under no circumstances will Rivet or its employees, contractors, or agents be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive, or consequential damages which may result in any way from your use of information included in this Guide or your use of any of the services of third-party service providers listed in this Guide.